this year for thanksgiving i was in charge of bringing the dessert. i love baking so i was happy to do it. although there weren’t a ton of people to feed i wanted to make sure i had variety and so i chose to make two different desserts. the first, your traditional pumpkin pie and then i also made some super tasty apple cheesecake bars (cheesecake may be my favorite dessert ever). i was a little hesitant on making the pie as this was the very first time i had ever made one (i didn’t even own a pie pan) and my dad requested homemade crust (he is sort of a pie aficionado so i wanted to be sure to impress). well, i pulled it off! the pumpkin pie, homemade crust and apple bars were a hit and really weren’t that difficult to make. today i wanted to share the pie recipe i used with you in case you find yourself having to whip up some tasty treats for christmas (i will share the apple cheesecake bar recipe at a later date, so don’t fret)! enjoy!
crust (this is for a double pie crust; you can easily half the recipe in order to make
one) – i used this recipe.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
3/4 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
2/3 cup ice water
1. mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl. add 3/4 cup of cold
shortening and 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter.
2. cut the butter and shortening in until the mixtures resembles coarse
3. measure 2/3 cup of water and slowly drizzle into your mixture, stirring
after every tablespoon you add. stop adding water when the dough begins
4. form dough into a ball and divide in half (if you did not half the recipe).
5. roll out the dough on a floured work surface (dough should not feel overly sticky) flattening into a 1 inch thick disc.
6. refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
pie filling – i used this recipe
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1. preheat the oven to 425 degrees f
2. place your premade pie crust across your dish, creating a decorative edge if you choose.
3. mix the pumpkin, eggs, milk and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
4. pour mixture into your pie crust.
5. place a thin piece of foil along the edge of your pie crust to protect it from getting crispy or burnt.
6. bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
7. reduce temperature to 350 degrees f and continuing baking for 40 minutes.
8. let cool, serve with a little whipped cream and enjoy!