it has become a tradition in my family for my mom to make chex mix during the holiday season. i can honestly say that this is my husband’s favorite snack and he looks forward to it all year long. our portion of the salty goodness never lasts too long as we are constantly munching. this year i took the reins and made 16 batches of the good stuff while mom was working on other holiday prepping. it took me a few hours to get it all done, but once i got into my rhythm it was smooth sailing and a lot of fun. now that i have the recipe down i have a feeling kyle may be asking for chex mix throughout the year instead of just at thanksgiving/Christmastime.
for the most part i just followed the recipe from the box of chex cereal, but added a slight variation with a few tips from my mom. here are the directions for you to whip up your own batch!
3 cups corn chex cereal
3 cups rice chex cereal
3 cups wheat chex cereal
1 cup peanuts
1 cup pretzels
***additionally you can add 1 cup of anything else you could possibly imagine; this year i added a cup of the following in addition to the above:
1 cup sesame stix
1 cup soy nuts
1 cup cheesy snack mix
1 cup southwest snack mix
1 cup cheese balls
1 cup cheese corn stix
1 cup sunflower seeds
for the sauce:
1 stick of salted butter
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 ½ teaspoons seasoned salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
- measure out the hard ingredients and combine in a large bowl; mixing everything up as you go.
- turn your burner on a low setting and slowly melt the butter.
- once the butter is melted, add in the worcestershire sauce (the recipe calls for 2 tbsp; i measure this out over my pot into the butter so it overflows a bit for a little extra), seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder and tabasco sauce (i don’t have an exact measurement here as you can add as much as you like for an extra kick – i just pour a bunch right into my mixture without measuring it).
- once your sauce is mixed together pour directly into your large bowl of mix, stirring it in to cover it all.
- place your large bowl of chex mix into the microwave and heat for 2 minutes – after 2 minutes remove and stir.
- place back into the microwave and repeat 2 more times (for a total of 6 minutes in 2 minute increments).
- let cool and enjoy!